This is a delicious breakfast cake. I’ve made it twice for my family and it’s been a hit. It will being going into my regular rotation of breakfast treats!
This recipe is adapted from one I found (on Pinterest, yes of course). You can follow my Pinterest boards for more recipe finds, crafts and garden inspiration! The recipe came from Alexandra Cooks and I’m sure her recipe would be excellent as well. Her photos are beautiful–I still have a lot to learn in that department!! I had to change a few things to fit what I had on hand – such as frozen blueberries instead of fresh.
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
zest of 1 lemon, or 2 tsp lemon extract
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
1/4 cup flour (for tossing with the blueberries)
1/2 cup buttermilk
- In the bowl of an electric mixer cream butter and lemon zest or extract and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to butter/egg mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- In a small bowl toss blueberries with 1/4 cup flour.
- Remove mixer bowl from stand and gently fold in blueberries.
- Spread into greased 8×8″ pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until top is golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Using frozen blueberries will cause the cake to have a slight purple hue in some areas. If you want a prettier cake then use fresh berries.
- I like frozen blueberries because I can keep them on hand and make this whenever I’m ready.
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can use a substitute. In a measuring cup place 1 TBSP lemon juice or white vinegar. Add enough milk to reach 1 cup. Stir and allow to sit 5 minutes, then measure out the needed amount for the recipe.