I adapted this recipe from my Blueberry Breakfast Cake, and I have to say that I like it even better! The tartness of the fresh cranberries provides a good contrast to the sweet cake. This recipe is for a large casserole dish (9 x 13″) or could be used to make two loaf pans of quick bread. This would make a great addition to a holiday brunch or special Christmas morning breakfast. Enjoy!
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
zest of a large orange
2 cups sugar
juice of a large orange (about 1/4 cup)
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
1 1/2 TBSP baking powder
2 tsp kosher salt
1 bag (12 oz) fresh cranberries, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 cup buttermilk
- Wash cranberries and discard any soft or discolored berries. Chop and set aside in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer cream butter, orange zest and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Add orange juice and mix again.
- In a separate bowl mix 4 cups flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to butter/egg mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- Add 1/4 cup flour to chopped cranberries and toss to coat.
- Remove mixer bowl from stand and gently fold in cranberries.
- Spread into greased 9×13″ pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until top is golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.