I whipped up a batch of these treats for my kids this afternoon and they were a hit. This is a very simple recipe and a fun twist on the regular rice kirspie treats. I think these would be perfect for a little girl’s slumber party or birthday snack for school.
1 bag (16 oz.) mini marshmallows
1 stick of butter
3 cups Fruity Pebbles or store-brand fruity rice cereal
5 cups Rice Krispies
- Butter a rimmed cookie sheet or 9 x 13″ casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat melt the cube of butter.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until they are completely melted, no lumps. Remove from heat.
- Pour in the rice cereals and mix well.
- Spread coated cereal onto the cookie sheet. Pat down with the back of a spatula, or with buttered hands.
- When completely cooled, cut into bars and store in an air-tight container to keep fresh for a few days–if they last that long!
- This recipe makes chewy rice krispie treats. If you like them stiffer, add additional cereal, up to 2 cups more and allow to cook for a minute before removing from heat.
- I recommend keeping the ratio of fruity cereal to plain at 50% or less. The fruit flavor is not overwhelming and the result is prettier than trying to use 100% fruity rice cereal.
- For an extra pop of color and fun, press Skittles candies into the top of the coated cereal after it spread in the pan and cooling.
- This would also be a great treat for St. Patrick’s Day!